Saturday, November 28, 2015

A Question About "Deliverance Ministries"

Why do they always consider the abuse victims as having been demonized instead of the abusers themselves? Many abusers are reprobates, what the psychiatrists would call sociopaths, psychopaths or malignant narcissists. If anyone is demonized in the room, it's the abusers.

It's something I have been pondering about a lot of deliverance ministries out there. You seem them on the internet. Some are not technically deliverance ministries but warn of curses and demons on anyone who has gone through turmoil in their lives. Can you see that small taint of the false idea that bad things happen to bad people?

I do not support deliverance ministries. Without naming names, I'll explain more later. Many of the mainstream and known name ones, are definitely false. Sometimes I feel like the powers that be are defended via the entire trend of telling abuse victims and others who have faced hardships, that they were the demonized and "bad" ones and not the people who abused them in the first place. One thing I have noticed, is many people who are severely ill, or who came out of various forms of abuse are definitely re-victimized by people who call themselves "Christians" who lay on this idea that they were "cursed" or so "wretched" that Satan laid his hand on them long ago and their only way out is an endless line of prescribed prayers, rituals, and the rest even if they were born again years ago. It puts another person in a "priesthood" position over another human being.

I don't believe in generational curses either.

John 9 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth. 2And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind? 3Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him. 4I

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have my mind made up about generational curses still existing. It's something I think about from time to time, but it's not essential to salvation so it gets put onto a back burner of things to consider and think about when I think on the history of the Bible, as well as many of the lives I see around me each day. So I'm not going to say a yea or a nay on this one.

However I must that it's my understanding that the Scripture quoted validates generational curses. Jesus didn't say to the disciples "thou fools" to believe in such things. He simply said no, that was not the reason. That this man was made blind so that the Christ could cure him as a miracle to prove His claim of being the Anointed One, and that God was true and working through Jesus.

Jesus lived on this earth under the First Covenant, therefore let God's Words be true...

Deuteronomy 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, 10 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments.

As God curses, so too does He bless, and chastise those whom He loves.

Whether or not this still exists in the New Covenant, I do not know, but it did exist in the first, and everybody knew it.

Anonymous said...

Numbers 14:18, exodus 20:5, exodus 34:7, Deuteronomy 5:9, psalm 109:14. But believers have life in Jesus Christ.
.......James

Bible Believer said...

There's a lot of abuse happening to people with grace in Jesus Christ being forgotten in these deliverance ministries and the unloading of "generational curses" where they are told they are under one for the evil-doings of others. I consider it a first covenant item not under the grace of Jesus Christ too.

Steve Lumbley said...

If generational curses do exist they are broken when one is born again.

2Cor 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Either you believe that or you do not. Deliverance ministries undermine the reality and the power of the new birth. There are no New Testament examples of deliverance used as an on going therapy for Christians.

Bible Believer said...

I agree. This definitely would fall under "old" things. Is a born again Christian "still wicked" because they came out of a "wicked" family. I do not think so. I believe deliverance ministries bring false legalism and works too and undermind the reality and power of the new birth. Nope you do not see any NT examples of Deliverance ministries either. I have come to the conclusion they match Catholic exorcisms more then anything biblical.