Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Contentment


Contentment is something many have to work on including myself. This society especially in America teaches you never to be content. Some of us are tortured by the wicked telling us we must always be more and do more. This is something I have undergone to the extreme in this affluent community where many of the lost have turned life into a comparison race and brag-a-thon. Life has become too much of a competition game with consumerism making this even more extreme. Most people in American society if you are hungry or abased, you are made ashamed. We can see this even in churches where all too often most have become enclaves for the middle class and above. I wrote years ago on this blog why many poor people do not go to church. That said, how many are spearing themselves with many sorrows because of this societal oppression.

1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. 

One 'message from Satan himself in American society is that you have to make money and "be successful" to be a worthwhile human being. So many have embraced this one so wonder this nation is going down the chute. How can one practice contentment wherever they are at? I believe life itself has become a race where many people "compare" lives on social websites to see who has the "best" one. When self improvement becomes the reigning motive and God is set aside for self, it increases selfishness, strife and lack of peace.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I have been thinking about this topic and many others on your blog.

Brandy

Anonymous said...

The 23rd Psalm - A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD Forever.

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 1Peter 5:6-8

If you are not content where the Lord has put you, you will wander off and the predators start to encompass. You have a very good chance of being wounded or maimed in the process.

Joel

Bible Believer said...

Thanks Brandy.

Thanks for the reminder Joel. I agree. You can wonder off if not content. I do believe one can pray to God making sure we are in the "right" place. Sometimes I fear I came to the wrong place geographically but will have to rest in God and ask Him.

Anonymous said...

hi bible believer I'm sorry you having problems with your health and finances.

Anonymous said...

BB,

I am not talking just where a person is geographically, but also where a person is spiritually. I should have made that clear in the post, sorry.

Joel

Anonymous said...

From Acts Chapter 17, we see that God appointed when and where we live. Of course, he has also prompted people to move, like Abraham and the early church scattered through persecution. "And He has made from one blood[c] every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us..."

It is not by mistake that we live in the times we do, in the places we do, and in the families we do. Pray for God to empower you in the place where you are, to use it for His glory, and that you would be able to abide in Jesus.

I have a very discontent, striving family member, so I have to watch myself, to remain content and thankful for God's provision. This is my favorite contentment bible verse. 1Timothy 6:6-8. "Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world and we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, with these we shall be content."

Joy

Anonymous said...

Amen Joy! Thanks for sharing that scripture.
A few years ago I read a book to my children called , " The Ox Cart Man" The book is about a family living long ago off the land, and shows how they use every resource. I love how simple life was then. I mean you had to work hard, but things were simple. I made the comment to my children that I would love to have lived then. My young daughter looked at me and said, " Mom, I think God has us exactly where we are supposed to be. If He wanted us to live back then, you would have been born then. He wants us here, now." She said it in such a sweet way, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I told her, " You are so right!"
I was definitely taught something by my child that day. Contentment :)

Faith