Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Nursing Home Abuses




"They keep you starving in here... just get me out of this place': Grandmother, 89, filmed begging for food at crisis care home Edna Slann was filmed by her family amid fears she was being neglected The 89-year-old is seen telling her granddaughter she is 'starving' in video She is one of three residents left with unexplained injuries at care homes Grantley Court in Sutton and Merok Park in Surrey have both been closed

Pleading for help, Edna Slann reaches out to her appalled family in desperation.

‘I’m starving,’ she says. ‘I’m bloody starving. Have you got anything to eat here now?’

While dementia has left the 89-year-old muddled in many ways, she is certain about one thing.

‘Oh god. I want something to eat,’ she begs, in harrowing video footage that shames Britain’s care system.

They keep you starving in here. This is not me at all. This is not normal, these b******* here are not normal. I just want to get out of this place.’

Mrs Slann, a widow who has dementia and arthritis and needs a wheelchair, was moved in July from a residential home to Grantley Court Nursing Home in Sutton, south-west London.

Her family claims she was neglected from the outset and her health rapidly deteriorated.

They said she lost more than half a stone in two months and is now little over five stone and reliant on morphine to control her pain.

She suffered severe facial bruising and a gash to her head which needed 12 stitches and now has just weeks to live.

Mrs Slann was filmed on September 21 by her granddaughter Becky, after she and her mother Linda Cackett, a book keeper from Epsom in Surrey, became fearful she was being neglected.

In a horrifying video, Mrs Slann can be seen pleading for help, while touching a large cut on her head.

Shaking with desperation and rage, she tells her granddaughter: ‘I’m hungry. Have you got anything to eat here now? I’m bloody starving. They keep you bleeding starving in here.’

She can be seen shutting her eyes in despair, while saying: ‘Oh god. I want something to eat. I’m angry. Give me something to eat.’

After the food does not come, she is seen lowering her expectations.

‘I just want a cup of tea, that’s all I want. Get us a cup of tea.’ She is reassured by staff that her food will come in ‘just 15 minutes’.

Later, she says: ‘Whatever’s happened to me? They’re making me bloody mad.

‘This effing place. It drives me round the bloody bend here. They are all bloody nutcases. I just want to get out of this place.’

After staff discovered a bedsore on her foot, she was taken to hospital. When hospital staff called Grantley Court for an explanation, they were apparently told it was ‘not that bad’.

Doctors said the only way to stop the spread would be to amputate her leg, involving serious surgery which would probably kill her.

Mrs Slann, a grandmother-of- one, worked as a cleaner until she was 70. She was a ‘lively and happy grandmother’, according to her family. Her daughter said it was ‘terrible’ to see how she has suffered.

She added: ‘It is horrendous to think that she has suffered.

‘We filmed her because she kept saying she was hungry. We feel guilty we let her go to Grantley Court. It is hard to talk about but I am speaking out because no one should go through this.’

Mrs Slann’s stay at Grantley Court cost £595 a week, which was met by Surrey Downs Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).

A Surrey Downs CCG spokesman said she was relocated as soon as concerns were raised.

A Surrey council spokesman said when Mrs Slann was placed in Grantley Court the home had passed its most recent inspection."

This happened in Britain, but it's happening in America too. Do a search on "nursing home abuses" on Youtube and you can see a multitude of cases! Physical and other injuries do occur in neglectful nursing homes. Some homes are better then others, I am not saying all are abusive, but this is some of the hidden things going on in this country. The helpless elderly in this wicked world are very vulnerable.

One of my in-laws now deceased who was later taken home to be cared for by other relatives, was put in a nursing home and ended up with a broken arm. She was speechless via a stroke and could not tell anyone what happened to her.  They did not say she had fallen or anything like that but somehow her arm had ended up broken.

 If you are younger and have been on an extended hospital stay, you know a lot of places the staff is over-worked and over-extended. They do not give you medication at the right time. There was one hospital I was in, where I was asking the janitorial staff to help clean me up and get me things because the nurses were incognito. I tell people if your relative can't speak for themselves in the hospital, make sure you are there as much as humanly possible.

Well nursing homes with far more underpaid staff, the care can be deficient. Often all your rights disappear as a patient. Years ago, I had an older long distant friend, I wanted to go on a rescue mission of, because she was in the nursing home. She could not walk, and my place then was not wheelchair accessible, I wasn't able to help her and it still weighs heavily on me. I made all the phone calls I could and her son was there too but the son often was taking the side of the staff and seemed annoyed with what he called her "demands". One of those "demands" was simply being taken out of bed and put in a wheelchair. They would leave her in bed and not get her up.  We do live in a society where the old and sick are shoved away out of sight and out of mind. Even if you are young and ill, some wicked families will disown you or won't visit for years. They want you out of sight. While I had to depart from wicked relatives, one disabled one in thrall to one of the most wicked probably has gotten shoved away in a group home or other nursing home. She is mobile in this case.

Every disabled and other sick and aging person can attest that one of their greatest fears is ending up in a nursing home. There is a reason for this.

Many people do have to put elderly parents or ill family members in homes, I am not blaming people who must face this  hard choice, often the care needed is beyond their physical capabilities but please be careful what home or center you choose for your family members. Be mindful of their care and make sure they are being taken care of properly.  I tend to think the chances are better with a non-profit rather then a for-profit! Please pray for the elderly especially ones who are in nursing homes.

The Grey Haired or the Hoary Headed

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this BB. Many do not realize this is going on, and many just don't care. I have such a heart for the elderly. I truly enjoy their company. When at the grocery store I always engage in conversations with them. The elderly have wisdom, and most are very kind and eager to carry on a conversation. I also seem to relate to the elderly more so than most my own age. The elderly don't stay stuck in iphones and they tend to agree with modesty and an ordered home. My dearest friend is 68 years old, and she is always willing to listen and give advice. Which I value so much, because of her experience and wisdom.
I think that is one of the reasons the elderly are being treated so disgraceful. The powers that be want them drugged and put away! It is because of the wisdom and knowledge they have to offer. And the abuse they suffer is heartbreaking.

Faith

jl said...

Dear BB,

This is so sad how the elderly are being treated. I agree with Faith that they are not stuck with their iphones. There are very few people under age 50 that know how to carry a conversation.

In this situation, one is dealing with the "hireling". The hirelings do not care, they just want their paycheck. Nursing home staffs are full of hirelings.

There were hirelings that have become hirelings through no fault of their own. The company owners became greedy for money, and overworked their employees. So overwhelmed, the employees gave up caring.

It is so sad, i'm going to pray about what God would like me to do.

Love,

jl, humble friend of EL ELYON

Kimberly Phillips-Tilley said...

When I did my clinicals for CNA, I was sent one weekend to a horrible retirement center. I was in there for one hour and I ran out door onto the street and cried. No humans should live or be treated like that. There was simply not enough staff to care for people, they had bed sores and cried most of the time. Another weekend I was sent to an upscale, fancy private (the first one was a medicare facility) and the difference was night and day, even among the dementia patients. When I got my license I refused to work in a retirement home I chose home health care instead. This is the norm unfortunately. This is why God intended for families to take care of one another.

Bible Believer said...

Hi Faith. Thanks I enjoy the company of the elderly too. I'm no longer young but enjoy their company and always did when I was even younger. In my 30s I had friends in their 60s-80s, however this can be sad as you can lose them, and I have though several I will see in heaven one day.

Many are wise and more old fashioned and not indoctrinated to the degree some younger people are.

I tended to relate to them more as well. I never understood my own generation in some ways.

I think the powers that be want them marginalized to block them from warning the young or offering the wisdom and knowledge of experience. Isn't there a verse in the Bible that warns about when children will rule? I think we are in those times.

Too many sadly are abused.

Bible Believer said...

I am older although I am no elderly, and yes the younger people with their Iphones and more freak me out. I am online a lot but I am not hooked in 24/7 like they are. They seem barely able to speak to me, so I relate.

I think there are tons of hirelings at nursing homes too. They underpay them to the max, so while there are a few caring people most are struggling people either through their fault or none of their own.

I agree often the not caring comes from the top. The greedy bean counters write hateful rules, abuse the employees and past down all the evil. imagine those who PROFIT off the feeding and care of the elderly. If they are wicked they want the food supplies cut down to the bare minimum, they want the cheapest staff--often people who can't get work elsewhere, those on parole etc, are working in nursing homes.

I find it sad too. I will keep praying as well. One thing to be careful of, often they will try and put people in nursing homes. I know someone who was warned if they fell too much the social workers could put them in. So yes please keep praying. There are younger disabled people fighting for independent living so they are not stuck on the backward of a nursing home.

Bible Believer said...

Kimberley I am sorry you saw that horrible retirement center. yes often money will make the difference between a bad and good one.
The ones with bed sores are being abandoned in bed for hours if not days. Can you imagine being stuck in bed, no one to talk to? I am glad the upscale place had better care but it is sad the former even exists in this country. I understand why you choose home health care. I believe families should take care of elderly or disabled if they can manage it physically. Sadly in the case of the disabled many are abandoned by their families. Some of the elderly if they had good children or other family members who are kind and love them they will have help. However there are many elderly now where there is no family to help them and they are even more vulnerable.

jl said...

Dear BB,

Thanks for the warning. I will be few in my words around "mandatory reporters"

Love,

jl, humble friend of EL ELYON

Anonymous said...

I have had opportunity to visit different nursing homes in various areas and have not encountered abuse but rather caring atmospheres where those who are losing their faculties are treated with respect and patience in environments to create a 'homey" feeling and even allow resident pets and an enclosed garden area where they can get fresh air. I am sure there are abuses, but I certainly hope they are not the norm and certainly not what I have seen first hand.

I also have had close relatives and friends who have been victims of Alzheimer's or dementia and it is common for them to lose their appetite and refuse to eat. Also, if an Alzheimer's patient has been fed they will not remember it. One of the first sensations to go is appetite and a sense of hunger as the brain shuts down.

Please understand - not to diminish the validity of the suffering that has been presented here. I am sure that it does happen. However, there are many caregivers who are dedicated to the care of the elderly and do not abuse their patients and are compassionate.

I know personally people who don't have people in the nursing homes but volunteer their time to visit the patients and bring them treats and give them attention. This can be a ministry by believers to seek out a local home and volunteer their time.

I heard of one program in the schools where students were assigned to a person in a home and they did a project of that person's life and the end result was a tender bond between a young person and the elderly. More of this type of thing needs to be done.

Aka Alert said...

Hi BB, could this be the passage you had in mind...

Isaiah 3:1-5 (KJV)

3 For, behold, the Lord, the Lord of hosts, doth take away from Jerusalem and from Judah the stay and the staff, the whole stay of bread, and the whole stay of water.

2 The mighty man, and the man of war, the judge, and the prophet, and the prudent, and the ancient(i.e. elderly),

3 The captain of fifty, and the honourable man, and the counsellor, and the cunning artificer, and the eloquent orator.

4 And I will give children to be their princes, and babes shall rule over them.

5 And the people shall be oppressed, every one by another, and every one by his neighbour: the child shall behave himself proudly against the ancient, and the base against the honourable.

Bible Believer said...

Anon, yes there are some good and caring nursing homes. I did not mean to malign them all as being full of abusers.

I believe there are caring people who do go into healthcare work. I have had caring nurses before.

I have a friend who volunteers in a local nursing home. She says it is a kind and a non-abusive place. I was happy to hear that.

Bible Believer said...

Yes JL be careful. With the falls, there can be some treatments and mobility devices etc, to help limit them. Even physical therapy can help with falls. Praying.

Bible Believer said...

Yes that is the verse Aka Alert, when children rule....Well we live in a society setting aside the wisdom of elders, all over the place.