Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Is Nostalgia A Bad thing?

Matt 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.


Is Nostalgia A Bad Thing? What do you think?


The other week, I got some thrift items from a friend and in there was a ton of old magazines, these were from the late 40s and early 1950s and a set as well from the 1980s. One can see within these magazines, the booming American economy, the long list of businesses, most of all which are now defunct or sent overseas, and within the 1980s magazines, the sheer multitude of items, that the far more common disposable income was meant to be used on. If you think those people are crazy who say that America is now a dying empire, that overextended itself and who say the American Depression 2.0 is just a myth, then go take a look at the past and COMPARE. And I am not saying compare the economic factors or the physical structures, or the art, fashion, furniture of the time but the writing, the thoughts, the outlooks.


One odd thing I noticed was far more mentions of God. I also noticed a different outlook towards one's fellow man, more of a caring about what became of them. Sure sin and evil existed then, but if anyone of you still watch TV, and catch an old TV show, even on Happy Days into the 1970s, Richie Cunningham tried to do what was "right or moral" on occasion, you just do not see that anymore. Now its all about 'getting over' on people. The central focus in relationships has departed from  connection and love of fellow man but power, dominance and control. To me this is one of the biggest changes. I see it in the false Christian world, where do you think the control freak covenant writing pastors are arising from? They have embraced this mode of being.

Many of us are old enough to remember "how things used to be" and perhaps some of you are like me and have that growing dread inside for so many rapid changes happening that are not good. Yes there were plenty of problems in the old days, but do you even feel like the 1970s and 1980s given their severe social problems were far "lighter" then what is happening today? I sure do. Perhaps you have even felt grief and wondered to yourself about the possible delusions that can lie in nostalgia. But you know something is giving way, and it cannot be denied. Remember they slowly boil frogs in the pot. Some of you may even have been around people and felt that unhappy feeling, that they are going with this flow, and very few are "seeing" what is happening.

The world was still a wicked place then, and materialistic, but one thing I found myself thinking even in the 1950s magazines and despite their own troubles of nuclear annihilation and the Cold War, was there seemed to more of an appreciation of beauty then. It was an odd thought I had, as I found myself thinking, "We have grown into a far more stripped down and utilitarian future" but then I thought to myself, "What on earth are you thinking, they just had WWII where millions of people died!"

Do you find my interest in the past strange? However nostalgia can be a false path. I've warned myself about the Dominionist types who idealize the 1800s and Victorian era. They do have a nugget of truth about things deteriorating but have gone to a fictional past. Hasn't those like Chris Pinto and pals fallen for a false idealized past that they "sell" to the masses?. Has anyone thought about these things? I have to be careful MYSELF about having rose-colored glasses about the past.

I found this warning in the Bible about nostalgia, and it's dangers when writing this article, and know I need to remember this scripture.....


Ecc 7:10 Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.

It seems to me the Bible is warning don't long too much for the good old days.  I suppose that can be a trap too.  It's definitely one I have to be mindful of personally.  Any thoughts?

13 comments:

cmnr0912 said...

Very interesting article, I've never really thought about it that way and certainly had never heard that verse. My husband and I often wish we had a time machine so that we could go back in time and meet each other when we were young and avoid our first marriages. I believe that if we had been following the Lord, He would have brought our paths together, but we were walking our own way.We have been together for almost 7 years now. However, I have to wonder if we would be where we are now spiritually if we had not gone thru the trials that we experienced in those years. So, I do think you have a very valid point, that while "the good old days" may look more appealing sometimes, we have all been created for a specific time and purpose. Thanks for all the great work you do, we really enjoy your blog!

Anonymous said...

There have been times on the earth far more wicked than today, such as the days before the flood. And certainly there were (and maybe still are) cultures that would do evil like child sacrifices and such.

But also the Bible says that the last days wax worse and worse. That is true. But also Ecclesiastes 7:10 is true because the world has always been wicked since the fall. So longing for "days of yore" with the freckled-faced boy eating spaghetti, is infinitely inferior to the eternal kingdom that is coming.

Therefore we are supposed to look ahead to Jesus, not back to anything else.

Good article.

Bible Believer said...

Thanks first anon. Nostalgia can be a personal trap for me. I sometimes have wondered if I was born in the wrong time and place but had to correct this thinking with biblical thinking. I have the part of my personality that wants to take major refuge in the past and I have said I would love to go back in a time machine too. LOL I know my trials led me to become a Christian in the first place. Though now, with the lastest trials I am praying to God trying to seek His understanding and what path He wants me on. I guess in the "good old days" this blog wouldn't have been possible. I do feel God has given me a job to do in this area. Hope I am pleasing Him. Thanks for your compliments. :)


Bible Believer said...

Thanks second anon.

I found the verse while writing the article and got convicted, which changed the direction of the article. That can happen. :)

I agree it is about focusing on Jesus Christ. This world even in it's earlier forms will be nothing compared to our eternity with Him.

Leahlive said...

Great article. I find myself doing the same reflecting how much things have diminished just in my lifetime.

But that scripture brings forth a truth that all of these things need to come to pass; that God is fulfilling HIS plan. When I first found your blog last year, reading and awakening to all the darkness that has been going on YES since the fall of man but mostly recognizing where we are at in the wickedness, I had a period of bitterness toward God.

It took time and Him revealing much to me that the Kingdom of Heaven must be as He has ordained it. Separating of the wheat and tares, allowing mankind to make his choice, and allowing Satan his time to come, is all part of that. So as the darkness comes more and more, we are called to be that light amidst the darkness and reach as many as we can, sharing the message of truth. Yes, BB God has given you a job to do and through that so many are finding that truth. God Bless

Anonymous said...

I started reading your article and immediately thought about that verse in Ecclesiastes. It is true that the last days will wax worse and worse and perilous times will come but like you I have seen that verse and was convicted about longing for the "good ole days" as well. I am glad that you "see" the truth that the verse declares and thank you for being open about your struggles. Our hearts should be single toward Christ. God bless you and thanks for writing this.

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous 1/30/13 - 8:06am

"And certainly there were (and maybe still are) cultures that would do evil like child sacrifices as such"

Oh they exist today. The United States is one of the biggest culprits. Planned Parenthood and other organizations conduct sacrifices annually.

Nothing has changed other than efficiency. In times past, baby were burned alive on pagan statues after birth...now they are burned alive prior to birth.

Anonymous said...

"Planned Parenthood and other organizations conduct sacrifices annually."

Excellent point. Point taken.

Bible Believer said...

Agree what is it 40 million sacrificed to Moloch now? 1 million a year?

Bible Believer said...

Thanks Leahlive.

I understand, when one finds out what this world is really like and what is going on, it can be very hard to deal with. I am glad you kept in prayer and was able to get beyond those feelings. It takes me time and prayer to even process some of the things I've warned about. We have to always be mindful that God WARNED us about all this and promised to be with us no matter what.
Thanks so much. :)



Kayfabe said...

Good scripture, I forgot about that one. The past looks much better In the rear view mirror

Kayfabe said...

I used to pine for my school days wushing I woulda went to my prom and stuff but that scripture u gave really hit home. I went thru my life with God watching over me an d I think it is a good thing that I was never part of a popular crowd as it taught me to rely on God

Bible Believer said...

Thanks Kayfabe, yeah the past looks better in the rear view mirror...you are right about that. I never went to my prom either and was not one of the "popular" kids either. In some ways that can be a blessing as you are an outsider to some of the peer pressure and more those young people are under.