Monday, August 27, 2012

Family as an IDOL of it's own?


I saw this the other week

Barna: Women Value Family Over Faith

In the second of a four-part series studying Christian women, the Barna Group released survey results at the end of last week showing that, of women who have attended a regular church service in the last six months, more than half said their family was their highest priority in life. Sixteen percent said faith was most important, followed by health, career, and living a comfortable lifestyle.

I take Barna with a grain of salt knowing the surveys probably could be used to influence, maybe here they WANT women to put God aside but this reminds me of when I wrote this.

"People can make idols of other people, and that includes a wife making an idol of a husband. When I read about some of these women, elevating men to such high places, where the man dictates everyone of their actions, thoughts and words, that is not a Christian relationship but a toxic one. Couples are supposed to be helpmeets not a husband with a subservient slave. When a woman is trying to be a slave to a man, you are not listening to Gods will or what He wants you to do. You have made an idol of a mere human being who is imperfect to fulfill all your needs. In the Above Rubies magazine and some of the other websites, some of the expectations put upon the men to be 'perfect leaders' and problem solvers seemed insane.

That goes for those who make the "family" or their own into idols as well. The temptation to use motherhood for self-glorification is out there, and for people to put themselves above each other. While we should love our families, Jesus Himself spoke of his true family being other believers Matt 12:49-50., and warned of those who would have family members who would betray them. Where is the Great Commission, when most energy is poured into seeking the perfect Christian "lifestyle"?"


God is to COME FIRST TO THE CHRISTIAN. Yes parents do have an immense responsibility and duty to raise, love and care for their children.

For those out there without a family or who feel alone, God has promises even for you too. [Don't let those who are turning their own family into an idols influence you wrong]. I often think about those who are lonely or homeless, or in the world alone and how a disfavor is being done, by this picture of "Dominionist" Christianity only for the intense family types. There can be a feeling of being told you do not belong in the "Christian" world unless you have a family and I have had singles and others tell me this before. Groups like FOCUS on the FAMILY were named that way I believe on purpose. The culture wars got as far as they did, with people being led to focus on having the "perfect" family instead of on God.

Psalam 27:10
When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up.


This is pretty direct here:

Matthew 10:37
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.


4 comments:

christian cerna said...

I actually think that "Focus on The Family", and James Dobson, is one of the most dangerous and corrupting influences that has infiltrated the American Churches. Why do I say this? Because it is probably almost entirely responsible for introducing psychology to the churches, and mixing elements of it with Christianity. Psycology is a purely humanistic field of study, and along with Darwin's theory of evolution, one of the most damaging lies that has ever been created.

christian cerna said...

I actually think that "Focus on The Family", and James Dobson, is one of the most dangerous and corrupting influences that has infiltrated the American Churches. Why do I say this? Because it is probably almost entirely responsible for introducing psychology to the churches, and mixing elements of it with Christianity. Psychology is a purely humanistic field of study, and this, along with Darwin's theory of evolution, is one of the most damaging lies that has ever been created.

Bible Believer said...

I agree, psychology was mixed and married to Christianity and done so with ease. Dobson also advanced this all with the ecumenical formula. Get this, when I left the UU and went to the RCC for a short time before being saved, I thought Dobson was a Roman Catholic, I heard the ladies at the RCC praising him so often and his advice in raising families. Dobson influenced Christians to buy into the hyper-control helicopter parenting and over-discipline that helped paved the way for the Pearls and the like who took it more extreme. The Pearls too use psychology [more severe behaviorism to the max], though they will claim it is all "Christian based". He also of course brought in making the FAMILY the focus, well obvious in the name. 20 years of Dobson, telling Christian parents to keep the kids in line and the families looking "perfect" and now we got those who make that the focus of their "Christian" life.

Of course Dobson's connection to CNP, and other things really form the entire picture.

christian cerna said...

True. I didn't see the connection at first, but then I saw a documentary about Alfred Kinsey, and how he was used to bring corruption to the public schools via 'sex education'. That is when I began to look into psychology, and men like Freud, and saw how his ideas were responsible for much of the corruption that is taking place in the public schools.

I don't see how a man of God could possibly believe that these ideas are somehow compatible with Christianity- unless he really isn't a man of God.