Friday, January 6, 2012

Do You Love Others? Do Not Let Your Love Wax Cold

Mark 12:34 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;


We are in a society where love seems to have been thrown in the waste basket, and as the Bible says in Matt 24:12 the love of many will wax cold. I have thought about the love issue and how society gives so many messages NOT to love people or even to form natural attachments [the Bible calls it natural affections] anymore. What do we see in a dog eat dog, compete at any price world where most of the populace has been ingrained into the law of the jungle and social darwinism? What about a world which splits everyone into the "winners" vs. the "losers" and measures everything by material goods, the bank account and who is the best worker bee for the corporations? It can get scary out there and it's growing worse. This is an interesting secular book, though I would take the "make money" equation out of it, and write the subtitle as "How We Forgot To Love One Another and Got Enslaved By Satan."



One of the subtle messages of Satan one will hear today include, "Put number one first!". One core component of all sin, is selfishness, and while there is some truth to a person taking care of themselves such as a mother in the airplane lacking oxygen better grab her own mask first to get the oxygen mask on her babies, but what happens when society enters this mode of a "me" first at all cost ethos? It can get scary, as I wrote about in the social disconnection blog entry, this is a main part of what is running that show. How many people out there are only interacting with people they believe can do something for them? How many only put themselves first?

The Bible states:
MATT 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

Think about that part "iniquity shall abound".

The dictionary defines inquity thusly:

in·iq·ui·ty/iˈnikwitē/Noun: Immoral or grossly unfair behavior.


Synonyms: injustice - inequity - wrong - evil - wickedness

So basically the Bible is telling us because of all the evil, injustice, wickedness taking over this place it is going to destroy love inside human beings.

Ever feel like living in this world is swimming in a pot of evil? Sure there are glimmers of light and some loving people but it sure can feel that way. I find myself dealing with a lot of sadness that some other aging people can attest to, seeing the break-ups of the family unit, watching whole communities decimated due to greed and the destruction of the economy, and the growing coldness. Call me silly but I remember days where people had conversations and the focus in life was just different. One facet of my moving from an old fashioned rural area to a more modern one was seeing the difference even in basic connections between folks.

Today as people grow more and more squeezed, and minds are enslaved, and the new world order cracks down and seeks to take everything meaningful out of human life, where life becomes one list of impossible rules and darkness descends, how many will see their love wax cold?

2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

I have prayed to God, to protect me from this.

How many are told in endless ways NOT TO CARE about their fellow human beings in this culture?


Cute bunny, but notice the message? I suppose it's supposed to be "ironic" or something but really it is preaching the message of a fallen world.

One sees this message all over:



To me the definition of love waxing cold, means not caring anymore, and we also hear the phrase lacking "natural affection" too. Have you ever dealt with people who just do not care? I have seen them for myself. For some of the most wicked, life becomes about a chess game in 'winning" over other human beings. Natural affection involves love, and attachment and care for other human beings. While I know many loving people, I also run into those who do not seem to care, where it's like wall has shut down, BANG!  What happened to those folks?  It is tragic frankly. Today we live in a society where cold stoicism is honored to the extreme, and emotions are not.  Anyone else relate? People are shutting down their minds and hearts, and some of these are well-meaning people who simply do not know God, but this is happening from the scary place the world has become, but all in all it is LOVE WAXING COLD.

Joy even seems to be an affront sometimes in a society that only cares about the numbers. Around some of the closed down types, if you are too happy, they will show annoyance. Life is all about drudge, worldly success and business. I remember reading elsewhere online, where someone from Europe wrote, "Americans do not know how to enjoy life anymore!" and agreed, that is true. Course Europe has it's own problems. How many people are lonely or how many abandoned members of families are out there? I can barely stand to read the news anymore, if one is paying attention, one can tell evil is growing, and even the ways that human beings desire to hurt one another are growing.  Gang shootings, skyrocketing crime, and worse. Even just stories of unthinkable cruelty are coming out, where coldness rules and jaded eyes turned to the suffering. Even a little child is told by a cold teachers to crawl back into a school after seriously injuring himself.

One danger in this world, if one does not have a relationship with God, is the evil one encounters, the betrayals, can take chunks out of one's soul. Some see incredible cruelty and coldness by a young age. Others still end up with lives where they are unloved and where God has to reach in and lift them up out of the darkness. People now are suffering seeing their entire economic life stripped away and dealing with health problems. For some there is nowhere soft to fall but in God's presence, as they are surrounded by those taken up with this world and it's evils. While people are told to have a positive attitude and "suck it up" or "man up", and bottle up the emotions this only adds to the problem. This is one way that they are getting people TO harden their hearts. Shut down emotion, turn away from human suffering, shut down the love. Some of us even know people who follow this extreme stoicism, and demand it of others with any vulnerability shown to be taken advantage of.  Manipulation and fear rules their universe.  How about facing reality with God's help? How about refusing the message of the world to HARDEN YOUR HEART and DO WHAT GOD SAYS INSTEAD?

Psa 95:8    Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, [and] as [in] the day of temptation in the wilderness:

One thing I have learned is when the Bible REPEATS something, it is very IMPORTANT.

This message occurs THREE TIMES in the Bible.

Hbr 3:8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:

Hbr 3:15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

One interesting word there to me is PROVOCATION; this seems to translate as REBELLIOUSNESS, and well, those who rebel against God definitely harden their hearts. The two go hand in hand. Coldness and turning away from God, are part in parcel with one another. Isn't one facet of the seared their coldness? It sure is. In dealing with the wicked, sometimes the most horrifying part of that picture is encountering the hard hearts made of stone.

Zec 7:12    Yea, they made their hearts [as] an adamant stone, lest they should hear the law, and the words which the LORD of hosts hath sent in his spirit by the former prophets: therefore came a great wrath from the LORD of hosts.

God can help with these things and always turn to Him in dealing with these horrible things, but as I have stressed on this blog, being a Christian today, may mean you are put in a position one day where it is just you and God and being circled by the wolves, ready to take a bite out of you. Will you start to hate in response or take refuge in God's love? The Holy Spirit can give one strength to even deal with the impossible.

Sometimes the worse affront on the human level, can be dealing with someone you thought loved and cared for you, but did not. That will happen too. How will you deal with it? The Bible warns us of such betrayals. What does it mean when you realize someone hates you based on your beliefs or is even there to deceive you such as the endless pastors exposed on this blog?  What did Jesus mean when he spoke of even family members and friends betraying one another? Remember Satan wants people to start to blame God, take their eyes off Jesus Christ and turn to hatred. Think about what this verse says about those who are OFFENDED:

Matt 24:10    And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.


Now remember Christians will be BETRAYED too and we know that betrayal is happening and going to happen as well...but here is a warning don't be offended like the world and start hating.

Here is the Christian response instead:

Jhn 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.





I often think about how fragile civilization is, and how once it's veneer is lifted  everything spirals down. All you have to do is open a newspaper reading about other parts of the world, to know once people are hungry, and suffering, how all vestiges of human compassion and love disappear like a vapor. I know I warn about serious stuff on this blog, but one thing you may want to ask yourself, is how would I respond if pushed to the brink? What if hunger or war comes? While some stress physical preparedness, that can be good if led by God, but many do not have the means to prepare for everything this world has to hand out, spiritual preparedness will be the most important. By the way, I worry I am not spiritually prepared as much as I should be, but it is something to take to God in prayer.

But now let's think about other day to day stuff, as enemies encircle. One friend, who told me at her horrible backstabbing workplace, "I must learn to split, and be smarter about things!" In response I asked,  "Do you want to become LIKE THE PEOPLE around you? Where hurting others and destruction is the main objective for the sake of the career?  They are doing evil." She definitely needs God's help in this area. This is something too for the Christian, to be careful of, surrounded by wickedness, how do we avoid being dragged into the whirlpool to get sucked down too?  It is a question to ask yourself and keep you thinking about God's righteousness.

2Cr 7:1    Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

This is something important to remember in this crazy world. I have faced my own imperfections in this area. I worry about my own love being waxed cold via the hurts of this world, this is where dependence on God, really is most important. It can be painful to deal with those who have hardened hearts, and the hurts that come about, how do we deal with this in a Christian manner?

One thing I am going to tell you, if you are a loving Christian and cry over or mourn over people, do not let those who have waxed cold tell you, that you are in the wrong. This world will do that. They will even belittle natural human grief. Those who are of more sensitive personalities can attest that having emotions in some places, is really condemned. I figure God gave these emotions to people for a reason. There are those I am noticing in society do not even attach the same way to people and it's kind of scary. We are seeing the fruits of all this in the increasing divorce rates, separation from others and more. While our emotions must remain in the will of God, there is nothing wrong with feeling. Having feelings means you still have a heart open to others.



Here too, our love for others, should influence our Christian life, even in witnessing. Do you talk to sinners and try to tell them God's truths? Do you try to meet people where they are at to bring them truth? One thing about this blog, I know there are many who have not studied and do not know the things I talk about here, with the array of false preachers, churches and more, how many good people simply do NOT KNOW? I remember my days fooled by the same. One way Christians can lose the love, is by falling into self-righteousness and circling the wagons rejecting the "outsiders". If all love is lost? Where will witnessing end up?

1Jo 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
1Jo 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.


One thing I know I am not perfect in loving others, only God is. It is something we all should ponder and confront ourselves on. All I want to remind through this article, is Do not Let Your Love Wax Cold.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bible Believer!!

This post is what I needed to hear today (and everyday). I have found myself withdrawing from people more and more as I find that I have so little in common with most people anymore.

As I pray fervently to follow my Lord and Savior Christ Jesus more closely, it seems like it is getting harder for me to participate in all the "reindeer games" that the world requires.

Your post reminds me that I must be open and willing to communicate with those who do not know The Lord of Lords...... to love our enemies and to pray for those who curse us is the pinnacle of showing that we have the Love of The Father within us.

Bible Believer said...

You are welcome Anon :). I am facing that part too where I feel like withdrawing as well and finding little in common with many people. It can be very difficult especially if a person is isolated from a bible believing Christian community. Lately while I meet tons of *nice* people in false churches, even a few of whom seem to love Jesus, it can be tough. I believe in that case to share what truths I can with them and also reach out to others that I can. We may be the only ones who hear the gospel from them in this world. I know it is hard to balance staying out of the lol "reindeer" games and still reaching out to others in love. I agree about the challenges in praying for those of us who curse us and show God's love despite the arrows, slings and hurts of this world.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I was having (and really still am) real problems at work with back stabbing and slander. I was really angry about it and was going to retaliate (become like them). Then God spoke to me in prayer and told me not to let the sin of others cause me to sin. It's not easy and I pray for Grace everyday. There is so much temptation to be hard and harsh. We need to pray more fervently.

Bible Believer said...

Thanks.

I know it is very hard, dealing with cruel people out there. I have to pray against my own anger too. I know most of the time the best answer is to depart from wicked people but this is not always possible in a work situation, though if it is bad enough, you may want to consider that as a solution in moving away eventually. I kept a job years ago, I was not saved yet, but the people were VERY WICKED, and the effect on me over the long term was not good whatsoever. More and more I have taken those warnings seriously in the Bible about getting away from those who are wicked. Christians may be surrounded by unbelievers who while lost, still have a conscience and may not be hostile to them but when they are hostile and out to hurt you, our best option is to get as far away from them as possible. I know I face those temptations too. I want to "fight back", we should always stand up against evil and speak out against it, but resist sin and pray to God about how He wants us to react when it comes to the dealings of the wicked. I may do a post on how to deal with wicked people in general. though I did recently write this one...

http://galatiansfour.blogspot.com/2013/07/depart-from-wicked-people.html