Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Loneliness of the Christian


I got this quote from Christian Research Net
I got the following A.W. Tozer quote from a friend today.

The Loneliness of the Christian

“The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone. The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

“The man who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens. He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

“It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.”

AW Tozer


I do not know much about AW Tozer, but this is something many born again Christians encounter. When I write about the scattered sheep it is something being faced by many Christians out there. There are people where they are the only Christian in the entire family, and where as I have written there is no good church in the area. I have had prayer sessions where I do pray to God about why so few know and discern the truth. I do try to meet people where they are at and give them truth when I am able. I had my lost time and the time I knew little as a new Christian and do not want to be prideful, in saying "look at me, I know more" because I remember the days, I knew NOTHING and I only know anything because of God. It can be tough to look out on the world, and see how things have gotten, the numbers of even NICE people caught up in the false church system or those who reject the gospel entirely. He is right about how you even feel separated from other confessing Christian people caught up in false teachings and the church falling away.  It does teach you dependence on God, because He is who you run to for comfort. I relate to the part where it says many DO NOT UNDERSTAND you. They don't, they see the world through a different lens not with spiritual eyes. I just wanted to post this especially for my readers who may be encountering the same thing.


Psalm 68:6

6God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.


Matt 28:20 


Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a biography of Tozer that is interesting- In Pursuit of God by James Snyder. I also have a sermon of Tozer's in booklet form that I ordered from Christian Light Publications- The Menace of the Religious Movie($1.70). Good post. -Taryn

Kayfabe said...

I relate to the feeling of lonliness as I am going through a time where my whole thinks I'm crazy for believing what I believe. It seems like the lines are being drawn between those that believe we are in the last days and those that still want to stay asleep. My family has even derided my brothers in Christ and says I shouldn't be spending time with them. I guess we will be hated for what we believe. My son has started to embrace Jesus teaching and my daughters have asked question lately so that has been a blessing. I refuse to love this world because I know that lead me down a road of destruction. I thank god for my brothers and sisters in Christ, I see more peace in them with their little than I do with others who have much.

Bible Believer said...

Kayfabe, I will pray for you, I am the only born again Christian out of my entire family of origin network, which includes mostly Catholics, agnostics and atheists. Many Christians out there are being told they are "crazy" and having their beliefs mocked and scoffed at. It gets tough because many do not want to know the truth and will hate the Christian for what they believe, sorry they are deriding you over your Christian fellowship. That is great your children are asking questions and seem open to the gospel. I thank God for my brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ too, even with physical distance between us.

Anonymous said...

I am facing the same thing in my life. The more i desire to come closer to God, the more distance there seems to be between me and the world. I know God is calling out for everyone but it seems there are few to hear Him clearly. I feel so very lonely and set apart and yet, I have to assume that this is the price of going against the flow of the world, and putting my faith in a living God that has a plan for me. Is God testing me to see if I am able to bear up under the strain of being 'set apart by God' ? Its so easy and tempting to believe that there is something wrong with me. But I set my eyes on God and to have faith means to submit fully, in complete trust. To do otherwise would mean submitting to the ways of a world that neither seeks God, nor loves their neighbour. So ... set apart I am, following my heart, knowing that the life I have is what God wills and chooses for me. One day I will understand :-)

Bible Believer said...

I agree. I feel set apart from the world, quite a bit. Every involvement with the world can sometimes be difficult, as the world is pursuing so many other things rather then God's truth and we always must be careful out there. The world will tell you that something is "wrong" with you. That definitely is one of the spiritual tests there. God bless you. I am sure one day we both will understand.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your response ! I found a really well written article on this a few days ago, when i was googling this question (and how i came to find your site). it clarified a lot of things for me and set my mind at ease.
http://epistle.us/articles/awakening.html
this was another really well written article
http://www.isaiah58.com/tracts/alonewithgod.html#top

it seems that there are as many understandings of the Will of God and the way He manifests Himself in our lives, as there are Christians. And each of us is called according to our own understanding and our personal circumstances and hidden need (which God knows well). I found some really good articles on 'the World Loves its Own' also ... our journey with God is as deep as our understanding, and our passion and desire to come closer. For some, worship, fellowship and a life of material abundance is how they know and understand God ... and that is fine. But for me and I suspect, for you, the world does not have a hold over me anymore. To let go of the desire to embrace and chase the material aspects of the world, frees me, to let God use my life for His Will. Called out of the world. Its a blessing, and if we feel lonely, it just helps us to move even closer to God :-) God Bless you too, but I know He already has ... susan, australia

Anonymous said...

To Bible Believer: Thanks for your comments. They describe me and my thoughts. I know i must have fellowship with others and attend a church but each one tries in a nice way to get me to believe in their different complicated doctrines and beliefs in how and when to be baptized,predestination and dispensation and speaking in tongues and on and on, and will accept or reject me as their doctrines and beliefs go. I feel alone in my thinking but I also believe that God loves us all(good & bad),is merciful loving, understanding,forgiving and not complicated and Christ came to save the simple uncomplicated sinners without complicated theological doctrines. He'll accept us if the motives of our hearts about our belief and faith in Him is honest and true. All these different ideas and doctrines are just distractors and man made beliefs pridefully trying to out prove the other. To me Matthew22:37-40 and a belief in God,Christ(who he is and why he came, died and was resurrected) prayer reading my bible withe help of the Holy spirit is all I need for now.