Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fighting the Spirit of Heaviness by Praising God



Things are getting tough out there, and this is something I've had to do even knowing the things, being discussed on this blog and elsewhere...Whenever you may feel downcast or overwhelmed or Satan is trying to burden you, or your own personal world is in chaos, step back and take time to pray to God for comfort but also praise Him in your turmoil. This is an important part of spiritual warfare, to step back and praise God, even in the worse of trouble. When one is very sick, facing extreme problems or even feeling overwhelmed by the evil of this world, nothing will bring more happiness then taking time to praise God. When even in the most severe crises, it is imperative that Christians do this, especially as things worsen in this world. One's trust in the Lord will also be built up by doing this, and your relationship with Him will grow. I found this verse the other day...Loved the phrase, "THE GARMENT OF PRAISE FOR THE SPIRIT OF HEAVINESS...."

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.

Act 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

I myself am working on "being anxious for nothing" and making sure to seek to emphasize this in my personal walk with the Lord.

Phl 4:6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.


For me, a strong reminder in the Bible is when Paul and Silas even praised God from a prison cell! Reading this, I realized they weren't just throw into a concrete room on some straw, they had even their feet locked up in stocks!

Act 16:23 And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast [them] into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely:


Act 16:24 Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks.


Act 16:25 ¶ And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.


Act 16:26 And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

Yes, good to remember when the going gets tough...thank you for sharing these thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I just found this blog, through a search on PCH! (God works in mysterious ways!
Please keep it up, this is a real blessing.
I will praise the Lord and worship Him always.

Cheryl

Yvonne Jackson said...

I WILL BLESS THE LORD AT ALL TIMES HIS PRAISES SHALL CONTINUE BE IN MY MOUTH.

Yvonne Jackson said...

I WILL BLESS THE LORD AT ALL TIMES HIS PRAISES SHALL CONTINUE BE IN MY MOUTH.

Searching soul said...

The God of all peace is a merciful God who is worthy to be praised. As I read this sweet passage I recalled how Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were in the firery furnace and praising God. Now I've been in many temptations in my 40 years in this wilderness but by God's mercy I was never in a oven. Yet the Tree Holy Children found courage to praise the Lord and not even the fire touched them. Jesus Christ the same yesterday, today and forever. Knowing this I'm confident that the Lord can save us from the most raging fires in our time.

Anonymous said...

hi bible believer that George Handel who composed the Messiah was a freemason

Unknown said...

In time of Adversity we have to be steadfast and dance with our king.Just as David did!Job despite what came against him made the choice not to give up.No matter what, he found peace through his storm. No matter what others said to him,he stood firm and did not waiver. He was not Luke warm.His yes was yes, he kept moving regained strength through Holy Spirit the comforter.Daniel in the Lions den is another great story but they all had to have mountain moving faith, to be rooted, grounded on a firm foundation. Knowing of God is not going to work these days.The relationship with God our heavenly Father is what needs to be unshakable, so in the mist of the trial you will overcome and be victorious.

Suleida CARRERA said...

In time of Adversity we have to be steadfast and dance with our king.Just as David did!Job despite what came against him made the choice not to give up.No matter what, he found peace through his storm. No matter what others said to him,he stood firm and did not waiver. He was not Luke warm.His yes was yes, he kept moving regained strength through Holy Spirit the comforter.Daniel in the Lions den is another great story but they all had to have mountain moving faith, to be rooted, grounded on a firm foundation. Knowing of God is not going to work these days.The relationship with God our heavenly Father is what needs to be unshakable, so in the mist of the trial you will overcome and be victorious.

Anonymous said...

Praise him when you are heavy and oppressed in spirit. Thank him for the many things you have to be thankful for.

Looking around at the world my spirit is heavy. My family has been torn apart and now my daughter has contempt for God, just like her father.

But I am thankful that my parents took me to church back in the 70s - right before the church started changing. We sang hymns every Sunday. Now I listen to the piano or instrumental versions of the songs every day and they calm me and relax me. I even feel joy in my heart while listening.

This is a nice reminder to praise him in your troubles. I'm glad I saw this post just now. Thanks for all of your hard work on this blog, Bible Believer. I've been reading for about 5 years now, and you are in my prayers.

beb