Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Life is Short [on this earth]


I have been pondering and thinking about life lately, over the last couple years, I have lost a couple friends to death, one was a Christian and I know one day, I will meet her in heaven. This helped me deal with my grief, knowing that one day we would be able to see each other once again. With the other I had witnessed to her and prayed, but unless she converted later [I was long distance from her], I do not know her final destiny which made things much more painful. Life is short, many die young on this earth, and some face their mortality at a very young age but even those who live long into old age, what is a 100 years but a blip on the screen?

Christians as led by God think more eternally, our life is very short on this earth. The Bible even makes that clear:

Psa 103:15 [As for] man, his days [are] as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourisheth.

1 Peter 1:24 For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass wither, and the flower thereof falls away:


When one looks at the world, many seem to live like they get to be here forever. It always astonishes me. They rush around seeking the "perfect" life here, while denying eternal life they would have via Jesus Christ. Young people given their youth and less wisdom, may be more susceptible to this, but there are many busy building their treasures on this earth as if they got to live forever to enjoy them rather then building the treasures in heaven. Remember the old 80s saying "He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins?", definitely a lie from hell itself. This is what the world tells people. Spend your life focused on these certain things denoting success and status. They will tell you, "You have nothing to show for your life", and they will emphasize all material goods. The values of the Christian should not match those of the world. I pray to God, What do you want me to do with my life or use the time here? Let Him direct your steps.

Mat 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

As a Christian, my relationship with God will be what matters most. In the end for all Christians, as this world is ended by God, it will be what is left. This world with its cares and concerns can definitely get in the way for the Christian, emphasizing its definition of success, personal notice, and more. This world will tell you, it is all about "making it"!

Psalm 39:6 Man is a mere phantom as he goes to and fro: He bustles about, but only in vain; he heaps up wealth, not knowing who will get it.

People all have to provide for their families and themselves and manage things, but we have to remember to remind ourselves of the eternal nature of things and what really matters in life. Here are two verses, to read and memorize, as a reminder:

Mar 4:19 And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.

Luk 21:34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and [so] that day come upon you unawares.

If any non-Christians are here reading this, know that this life is short, and tommorow is not a guarantee, repent and turn to Jesus Christ for salvation. Live for what matters not for this world!

Jhn 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

I agree Bible Believer. Too often we forget to keep eternity in mind by getting side tracked with our problems. To spend eternity in Heaven is absolutely wonderful but I want to have some precious stones left when the fire is put to my life. I don't want to just have wood, hay and stubble that is reduced to ashes. I want to have some gifts, so to speak, to give to Jesus. I want to please Him. Even if I was the least of those in Heaven, I still want to hear God say, "Well done my faithful servant".

Bible Believer said...

Thanks Abbey, I agree too. :) Everything in this world is so temporary, what is important?