We are seeing more stories like this one. This poor man and his family watched his house burn because he forgot to pay a 75 dollar fee which he could have afforded. Thinking of this man begging for his house to be saved, the coldness of those around him is horrifying. You have to wonder about the consciences of those who would watch a house burn instead of lifting a finger to help this man. They were already on scene and could have billed him. The news article makes clear they could have stopped it even before it got to the house.
Cranick lives outside of the city limits and he admits that he forgot to pay a $75 annual service fee that would have provided him with fire protection. Firefighters wouldn't lift a finger, much less the hoses that might have saved the house.
The fire reportedly started in some barrels outside. As the flames crept closer to the home, Cranick says he offered to pay whatever it would take. The plea fell on deaf ears. Hours later, the home was gone.