Friday, June 11, 2010

Something is Very Wrong with This Music!

At my old church, we sung the old hymns. I grew to love hymns like THIS.

After I was in another community, I became shocked at what passed for music in the modern churches, I guess my introduction to "contemporary christian music" was not what I expected. It consisted of odd songs with repetitive lyrics, and where they tried to match the worse aspects of the secular music world. Visiting many churches and during my time in Calvary Chapel, I found much of the music disturbing. One thing that would floor me is how the name "JESUS CHRIST" was only rarely ever said, and God was referred to in second and third person pro-nouns such as "YOU", biblical doctrine was last on the list and any substance lacking. I found myself thinking..."They could be singing to anyone, and maybe the ones who wrote this stuff want it that way!"

Discernment told me how Satan was making use of rock music and genres in general, which isn't to say all music is bad, but there is a lot of what is popular out there that is spiritually dangerous and being used to entice emotions. Being young and unsaved, I listened to hard rock, punk, "goth" music, and after becoming a new creature in Christ, realized how Satan really does own the air waves and realized it's own previous negative influence on me.

It was really strange to notice a lot of these so called "Christian bands", trying to emulate the secular rockers, in dress, habits and music, but what worried me the most was the lyrics.

Let's take a look here, this is a popular Christian festival for young people called Harvest Fest [mentioned before on this blog in reference to Greg Laurie and Calvary Chapel] Lest one thinks it is just Calvary Chapel or affilated festivals introducing this sort of music, it is all over the place in many different types of churches especially with those who sadly think that they must use this type of music to "appeal' to young people. There are many others such as Rock the River and the Ichthus Festival. One thing music may be pleasing to senses, but this does not mean it is sending the right messages.



Some of the sample lyrics...from the video above:

I am asleep and all I dream is of awakening to you
Tell me you will Listen
Your Touch is what I am missing
and the more I hide, the more I realize I'm slowing losing you
Comatose I'll never wake up without an overdose of you
I don't want to live, I don't want to breathe

[camera cuts away...smoke plumes etc]

Your parents say that everything is your fault
But they don't know you like I like you
They don't know you at all
I'm so sick of when they say
It's just a phase
You'll be ok, you're fine, but I know this is a lie.


This is supposed to be a song of Christian worship for young people? With no mention of the name Jesus, this song could be to anyone, and the weird emphasis on "parents not understanding" seems to be meant to continue the modern message of seeking to divide parents and young people and adding to youthful rebellion.

Here is more [from that same video]

I'm just a step away
Losing my faith today, falling off the edge today
I am just a man not a superhuman
I'm not superhuman, someone save me from the hate
It's just another war, just another family torn
Losing my faith today, falling off the edge today
Just another day in the world we live
I need a hero to save me now
I need a hero to save my life
A hero will save me just in time
I gotta fight to live another day
Speaking my mind today
My voice will be heard today


This song disturbed me even more, I suppose they are trying to promote "jesus" as that hero in the song, but again that could be anyone. Also considering the realities of Christian persecution worldwide, having people see God as a "superhero" who will save them from all suffering or hardships for the gospel in this world, is unsettling. Jesus preached we must be willing to lose our lives [Matt 6:25], what about the lines about "the hero above saving lives, saving them just in time"? If any thing a true song would be about the saving of souls. Many of those young people are folks who do seek after God and want to live for Jesus but what unbiblical things are they being fed?

6 comments:

Donna said...

This is just very grievous. Cults wear many masks

Bible Believer said...

Yes is Donna, the problem is I have seen this music in a multitude of churches, baptist, non-denominational, as well as Calvary Chapel.

Anonymous said...

So I was liking CCM about a year ago, liking a lot of the songs, not thinking too much about it. I bought a WOW CD and my daughter and I would listen to it on the way to school. She liked Awake and Alive by Skillet. She wanted to play it over and over. Then the lyrics started to bother me. They said, "I'll do what I want 'cause this is my life." And I'm thinking, that's not what a Chistian says. That's what someone in the world says. I don't do what I want anymore - that's what got me in so much trouble when I was young. Now I want Jesus in control, molding me and making me into what He wants me to be. It's all about what He wants, not what I want. He knows better than me.

I asked God to show me what was going on. I started checking out lyrics of Christian bands and some of them are actually pretty dark. I left Calvary Chapel this year and not too long ago they had a band Silent Nine playing at the church. I looked them up and they don't project people who love Jesus to me at all. The name Jesus is not in any of their lyrics. Their lyrics were actually quite dark and ominous:
http://www.reverbnation.com/silentnine

Some of my friends and family don't get it. They say we need it to reach kids and there's nothing wrong with it. My heart aches when I hear that. To me it's all part of the ecuminism spreading like wildfire. Thank you for your site. Lots of good stuff on here.

Anonymous said...

The big Budweiser sign under the screen in an interesting touch.

Bible Believer said...

Yeah it is a secular venue, but was it too much trouble to cover up or remove a giant side promoting alcohol in front of teenagers?

Anonymous said...

None of those lyrics are Christian in any form, and they actually promote falling from faith, going down, down, down...